Hitting a weight loss plateau can be a really tough challenge. Perhaps you have noticed your weight isn’t changing, maybe you aren’t making the progression that you were hoping for, but that’s no reason to give up. In fact, that is the worst thing you can do.
We understand these things can be demotivating, in fact they can be pretty upsetting really.
But, first things first, make sure you are really hitting a weight loss plateau.
If you weight train and your numbers don’t increase in one session that’s not enough to assume you have plateaued. It may simply mean you are tired and your next session will be far better.
If your weight hasn’t changed in two weeks, that doesn’t mean that fat loss has necessarily stalled. It’s important to track more metrics than just weight to properly understand your progress.
Inevitably you will hit a plateau at some point, so, what can you do to break out of it?
- Re-evaluate your diet. What may have been appropriate 3 months ago, probably isn’t now. You will need to readjust your calorie/macro intake to suit your current body and goals. When you have, your daily intake sussed make sure you really stick to it. Track everything. You might think a couple of biscuits won’t hurt, but when you look at the nutritional info you may find they are throwing you very far off course from hitting your daily goals.
- Re-asses your workouts. The first time you did your current routine you found it much more of a challenge, right? Well, here’s the thing, your body is adapting to what you are doing. Keep things fresh and challenging. Change your routine regularly to make sure you keep seeing results. Talk to a member of the gym team or use a fitness app with a workout plan function, like FitSense.
- Are you drinking enough water? Water plays a massive part in keeping your body healthy and regulates the function of your kidneys too (these play a big part in weight loss). You should keep a track of how much you drink, try and make sure its plenty. If you are exercising a lot this amount should be even more!
- Are you too stressed? Stress and worry have a very negative impact on your body and can really derail any efforts you make. We know it’s easier said than done, but try not to sweat the small stuff. Finding it hard to chill out? Why not try a calming class such as yoga? Not only will this help you on your journey to achieving your goals but it will give you a chance to re-balance your thoughts and mindset.
- Sleep is super important. You need to make sure you are getting enough of it. Scrimping on sleep to fit in time for other things, even a workout, won’t be doing your body any good. We all know the golden number is eight, but if this isn’t achievable the minimum you should get is six hours a night!
Hitting a weight loss plateau is rubbish, but there are things you can do to help! Don’t give up, results are on the way.
If you have any advice about how to break out of a plateau, we’d love to hear. Leave your tips in the comments below.